Monday, February 2, 2015

Observations On: Unpaid vs. Paid Internships


Someday I should probably have quality photos of myself taken. Today is not that day. I get to weird and to shy when somebody else turns the camera on me. Side note: This is like my go-to interview outfit, that is probably bad and probably needs to change. Somebody please employ me long enough so that I might purchase a more appropriate outfit. This was yet another rather uneventful week. 3 interviews, one job offered but, it turned out to be a paid internship instead of an assistant position like the original posting said, one was a follow up interview from a group interview the week before - and this is the one I really hope works out, and the last one was a place I never gave much thought to but, the fabulous man who interviewed me made it sound very appealing and like it would be the most educational of the 3. So.. Dear World, I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for a job please let one of these workout already!

Things your college programs/internship instructors might not tell you: After you've had at least 3 unpaid internships it actually seems harder to get a paid position. The company knows you were willing to work for free in the past and they also know you want to "learn more" about your given choice of field so they will continue to offer you unpaid positions because, they know they can get you with the whole you'll get more experience and be more hirable blah blah blah. Hold out. I am holding out. It might not work out for me in the long run but, I refuse to be a dish washing sample checker-inner anymore. At least an unpaid one. When you are looking for your first internships look for paid ones, if you have some retail experience and skills that pertain to the internship you might be more likely to find a paid one. Based off of my own experiences I feel like companies have more respect for you and will be more likely to want to pay you if you've had paid internships vs. unpaid ones. Or maybe I am completely wrong, who knows but, this is what I have observed.

I will however be making some money this glorious week of February 2nd- 6th as I will be freelancing with One Kings Lane. I am sure I will develop some very strong opinions on freelancing here soon and will post about them accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment